We are currently creating content for this section. In order to be able to keep up with our high standards of service, we need a little more time. Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest!
1325 - King Edward II visited Bedhampton.
1348/9 - The Black Death was estimated to have killed up to half the population of Havant and Hayling Island.
1451 - Havant awared a Charter which allowed a second weekly market to be held on Saturdays and an annual fair on the eve of St Faith, October 6th.
1496 - Documentary evidence for the Hermitage Chapel of St James, Bedhampton.
1571 - St Mary's Church, south Hayling parish registers of births, marriages and deaths began.
1592 - Queen Elizabeth I visited Bedhampton.
1600 - For 300 years tanning and glove making were practised at Havant, involving the trade of fell-mongering.
1631 - St Thomas a Becket's church, Warblington began keeping began parish registers for baptisms, marriages and burials.
1635 - A national post service instituted with an office in Havant.
1653 - St Faith's Church, Havant baptism, marriage and burial registers began.
1665 - Hamlet of Leigh mentioned in the Hearth Tax returns.
1688 - St Thomas's Church, Bedhampton parish registers began.
1710 - Earliest recorded school in Havant above the Market House in South Street.
1711 - Earliest recorded baptisms at the Catholic Mission at Langstone
1714 - Five bells cast and toned at the Ehitechapel Foundry installed in St Faith's Church, Havant.
1734 - Earthquake felt in Havant.
1747 - Bear Hotel built.
1761 - Part of Havant devastated by fire. The Old House at Home and St Faith's Church among the few earlier buildings still surviving.
1763 - Earliest record of Freemasonry in Havant.
1777- Havant parish workhouse had 50 inhabitants.
1776 - A great fire altered the look of the town.
1779 - The Gazebo was built by the Lellyett family who were watchmakers, silversmiths and gunsmiths in Havant.
1784 - One brewer and five maltsters recorded in Havant.
1789 - Charles Wentworth Dilke, writer, born at Havant.
1790 - Belvedere erected on Portsdown in the ground of Belmont House in Bedhampton. This was later enlarged as Belmont Castle.
1795 - Havant Company of Volunteers formed in response to threat of invasion from France.
1800 - Customs officers, with the assistance of the Havant Volunteers, seized contraband spirits and tobacco from smugglers near Bedhampton.
1805 - Caroline, Princess of Wales came to Emsworth for sea-bathing.
1807 - Jack Pitt, who worked along the Havant Road near Nore Farm. was tried as a highwayman and hanged on Southsea Common.
1808 - The Independent Chapel opened in Nile Street, Emsworth.
1810 - Robert Harfield built a purpose built bathing house at the end of the road, now known as Bath Road.
1820 - Emsworth Corn and Cattle Market started trading in The Square.
1821 - Four stage coaches each day passed through Emsworth from Chichester to Cosham.
1821 - Adolphus Miller owned the ropewalk at Hermitage.
1823 - Portsmouth to Arundel Canal opened, running through the harbour to the south of Emsworth and opening up inland waterways to London.
1834 - The Poor house in North Street was closed and amalgamated with the Havant Union Workhouse.
1939 - The Foundation Stone was laid for the parish church of St James, Emsworth.
1842 - Queen Victoria and Prince Albert rode through Emsworth on their way from Arundel to Portsmouth, She was greeted at the county border by the Dule of Wellington as Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire.
1847 - Lond, Brighton and South Coast Railway constructed with the first railway running through Havant.
1850 - A small earthquake shook Havant.
1854 - Gasworks established in Emsworth.
1858 - Havant Police Station was built in West Street. The building is now the Bench theatre, part of The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre.
1860 - Havant and Emsworth Volunteer Rifle Corps formed.
1863 - National School opened in Emsworth.
1865 - The branch railway line to Hayling Island opened initially to Langstone and extended to South Hayling two years later.
1867 - The Hayling Billy started running between Havant and Hayling Island on 18th July. Elizabeth Holloway died at Saxted House. She was the last of the Holloway family.
1870 - The Old Town Hall was built by a group of prominent people including William Stone of Leigh Park House. It cost £1,500.
1871 - The census revealed that Havant had 8,144 inhabitants and comprised 14,191 acres of land.
1872 - Borough of Portsmouth Waterworks Company empowered by the Board of Trade to supply water to Emsworth. Later in the year also to Bedhampton, Havant and Warblington.
1873 - Havant's two annual fairs abolished.
1874 - Major General Sir Frederick William John Fitzwygram purchased the Leigh Park Estate.
1874 - Miss Mary Charge built Lymbourne, now part of The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre.
1875 - The Working Men's Club and Institute opened in West Street, Havant.
1875 - Soup kitchen and coat fund started in Havant.
1875 - The Catholic Church of St Joseph opened in West Street, Havant.
1876 - The Masonic Hall was built in Waterloo Road, Havant.
1878 - Primitive Methodist Church opened in West Street, Bedhampton.
1878 - Havant Bonfire Boys formed to organise Guy Fawkes Night celebrations.
1881 - Hulbert Road opened linking Hant and Bedhampton with Waterlooville.
1884 - Havant School Board formed.
1885 - Hav ant Bonfire Boys disbanded.
1888 - The Havant Club opened in rooms at the rear of the Bear Hotel.
1889 - The new White Hart built on the corner of North Street and East Street. Havant replacing an earler public house further along East Street.
1889 - Havant Park opened.
1890 - Congregational Church opened in Elm Lane, Havant to replace the chapel in the Pallant.
1892 - The Havant Club moved to a building in East Street.
1893 - Committee appointed to promote street lighting in Waterlooville.
1894 - Fever Hospital opened in Havant.
1894 - Havant Rural District Council formed.
1896 - Havant Board School opened in Fairfield Road.
1900 - The National Telephone Company opened an exchange in North Street, Havant.
1904 - The new Wheelwrights public house opened in Emsworth Road, Havant replacing an earlier beerhouse.
1906 - Bedhampton Halt opened.
1907 - A branch of Barclays Bank opened in North Street, Havant but by 1911 it had moved to 18, East Street.
1907 - Warblington Halt opened.
1907 - Portsmouth Corporation opened a telephone exchange in Brockhampton Lane, Havant.
1909 - Mains drainage and sewerage provided in Havant.
1910 - Havant Gas Company gained a public lighting contract with Bedhampton Parish Council.
1911 - Rowlands Castle supplied with gas for public and private use.
1912 - The Pavilion Cinema opened in Emsworth.
1913 - Havant's first Girl Guide Troop was formed while at Bedhampton a Scout Troop was started.
1913 - The Empire Kinema opened in North Street, Havant.
1916 - Stent's purpose-built Glove Factory established in West Street, Havant.
1919 - A Home Ambulance Service started in Havant.
1922 - The last Havant brewery, that of Biden & Co, closed.
1922 - Havant War memorial was unveiled/
1923 - Havant and Emsworth supplied with mains electricity.
1924 - The Royal British Legion opened a branch in Havant, meeting at St Faith's Church House in the Pallant.
1926 - Havant gasworks closed having become part of the Portsea Island Gas Light Company.
1926 - The remains of a Roman Villa were found just south of Havant.
1929 - Havant War Memorial Hospital opened.
1932 - Hacant & WSaterloo Urban District Council was formed.
1934 - The Water Mill in Havant closed.
1936 - Outlying portions of the Leigh Park Estate sold to Parkleigh Investment Company.
1936 - The Old Post Office was built and was unique in that it had the royal cipher of Edward VIII. Parchment making in Havant ended and Havant's present Railway Station was built.
1936 - The Empire Kinema in North Street closed.
1936 - The Empire Cinema opened in East Street.
1938 - Destroyer HMS Havant launched at Cowes, Isle of Wight. Was sunk at Dunkirk while evacuation troops on 1st Jun. 1940.
1938 - Havant Railway Station rebuilt to the west of North Street.
1939 - Civil Defence First Aid Post opened in St Faith's Church Hall, in The Pallant, Havant.
1940 - Leigh Park House requisitioned by the Admiralty for the Underwater Counter-Measures weapons Establishment.
1942 - British Restaurant opened in Parkway, Havant.
1944 - Portsmouth City Council purchased Leigh Park House and 1,200 acres of land at Havant.
1946 - Leigh Park Gardens maintained by Portsmouth City Council and opened to the public.
1947 - Building work began on building the first houses in Leigh Park.
1949 - The first families moved into houses in Bramdean Drive in Leigh Park.
1949 - Havant County Secondary School opened in South Street.
1950 - Leigh Park Tenants' Association formed.
1952 - The first shops in Leigh Park opened in Stone Square.
1954 - The Catholic Church of the Blessed Margaret Pole, Leigh Park, opened.
1954 - Warblington Secondary School opened in Southleigh Road.
1955 - The Co-operative Department store was the first to open in the New Park Parade Shopping Centre in Leigh Park.
1955 - Fire station opened in Park Way, Leigh Park.
1956 - Production of Scalextric models started in its Havant factory.
1956 - Leigh Park Methodist Church opened in Botley Drive.
1957 - Oak Park Secondary School opened in Leigh Road.
1957 - St Thomas More's Catholic Primary School opened in Hooks Lane, Bedhampton.
1957 - Leigh Park branch of the County Library opened in Stockheath Lane.
1958 - Broomfield Secondary School opened.
1958 - Methodist Church opened in Petersfield Road, Havant.
1959 - Leigh Park House demolished.
1959 - Tampax factory opened in Dunsbury Way, Leigh Park.
1960 - Stent's Glove making manufacture ended.
1960 - Kenwood's factory openeds in New Lane, Havant.
1960 - Co-operative opened its Funeral Business in Dunsbury Way.
1961 - Market Parade Shopping Center buildin commenced.
1963 - The Havant-Hayling railway line closed.
1963 - The Hayling Billy Line closed.
1963 - The Church of St Francis Church was consecrated.
1963 - Colt Ventilation and Heating factory opened in New Lane, Havant.
1964 - Havant got an Automatic Telephone Exchage which was opened in Elmleigh Road.
1965 - The Havant by-pass was opened by Tom Fraser, the Minister of Transport.
1966 - The Greywell Precinct in Leigh Park was opened by the comedian Sid James.
1966 - Extension of the Leigh Park housing estate was started in The Warren.
1968 - The Cinema in Hayling Island closed.
1968 - Colt International opened its factory in New Lane, Havant.
1968 - IBM opened its manutacturing plant at Langstone.
1969 - The 'Sixpenny Six' led by Havant Councillors George and Betty Bell jailed after refusing to pay one shilling entrance charge to Leigh Park Gardens, increased from 6p by Portsmouth City Council.
1970 - Entrance charge to Leigh Park Gardens abolished when Havant Council agreed to share the cost of their upkeep.
1970 - Coal gas replaced by matural gas in the Havant area.
1970 - Wakefords School opened in Wakefords Way.
1970 - The Homwell Spring ran dry for the first time.
1972 - The disused Havant District Hospital was demolished.
1974 - Havant becamse a Borough.
1974 - Havant incinerator opened.
1974 - The swimming pool opened in Havant Leisure Centre.
1974 - Havant College opened.
1977 - Havant Civic Centre opened.
1978 - Havant Council moved out of the Old Town Hall and the Havant Arts Centre was created.
1979 - Moorlands, next door to the Old Town Hall was opened as the Havant Museum.
1982 - Havant Leisure Centre opened.
1983 - West Street in Havant pedestrianised.
1984 - Kingscroft Industrial Centre at Brockhampton was opened.
1991 - The Meridian Centre opened in Havant.
1997 - Havant incinerator closed.
1998 - Waterlooville Football Club merged with Havant Town to form Havant and Waterlooville Football Club.
1999 - Kenwood's ceased manufacture at its Havant factory and production was moved to China.
2001 - St Michael & All Angels church in Dunsbury Way, Leigh Park, destroyed by lightning.
2006 - A new bus station opened in Havant.
2009 - Havant Brewery, a microbrewery, opened in Cowplain.
2009 - Havant Arts Centre and Havant Museum merged to form The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre.
2010 - Havant Academy, formerly known as Staunton Park Community School, opened.
2011 - Havant War Memorial Hospital closed.